2008 m. gegužės 12 d., pirmadienis

Self-Assessment of ESP learning

I think that my writing skills are average at the moment. There is much to improve in ESP vocabulary and summaries. I should learn new words and concentrate more when I write summaries. Self-designed tests and dictations are easier because I do not make as many mistakes as I do in summaries. Contributions to the weblogs are the easiest because we have the ability to check spelling and grammar and the topics are usually those that we learned in ESP classes.

My speaking skills on the other hand are good I believe. I do not face any problems formulating a sentence and getting my message across when participating in class discussions. I also do well while speaking in pairs though the quality of the dialogue also depends on the partner I am speaking with. There are no problems in presentations too because it's easier to speak when I'm prepaired than on the spot.

Listening skills are also good. I usually manage to answer most of the questions during the first time we listen to the records. There are usualy none or minor mistakes. This is both for listening activities in class and for listening to podcasts. Because I'm a students debate club member I also get to listen outside of class. It is even easier because the vocabulary used there is more familiar than ESP vocabulary.

Reading is easy. I understand the meaning without needing to refer to a dictionary when I read at home. Class reading is the same, I do understand the meaning of everything I read. When we do reading comprehension excersises I usually do them without any mistakes so I believe that I am good at tasks that involve understanding the text. The same goes for computer tasks. I believe this is because the articles that we read are usually writen in popular style that a simple person would understand. I think I would face more problems if the text would be strictly scientific.

To summarize I can clearly see that writing is the biggest problem at the moment. I do believe that I can improve if I work harder.

1 komentaras:

Mykolas rašė...

Greetings,

I just happened to stumble upon your Blog. I understand that the creation of your blog is in conjunction with your studies as a student of the English language.
Your use of the English language is excellent. I have visited other blogs that are maintained by your fellow ESP students and have also found them to be very well written and easily understood.

Congratulations to you, your fellow students and especially your teacher(s)on the execution of a truley remarkable project!

I must also admit that my own use
of English (my native language) pales in comparison to that of your's

Mykolas
http://bieksia.wordpress.com
http://www.LithuanianPride.com